- Written by Super User
- Category: The Embassy
- Hits: 6999
Formal diplomatic relations between the Philippines and Spain was established on 27 September 1947. However, it was not until 6 March 1948 when the Philippines sent Mr. Manuel Escudero to head the Philippine Legation in Spain in his capacity as Minister Plenipotentiary. Aside from Mr. Escudero, the first Filipino diplomats assigned in the Philippine Legation in Madrid were Vice Consul Francisco Maraval and Finance Attaché Emilio Martinez.
In April 1951, the Philippines sent former Supreme Court Chief Justice Manuel V. Moran as its first Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Kingdom of Spain. Up to this point, there have already been fourteen (14) Philippine Ambassadors to Spain. Click here for a listing of former Philippine Ambassadors to Spain.
The Philippine Embassy Chancery
The Philippine Legation was first located in Hotel Capitol along Gran Via. Shortly after it was moved to a building located in Calle Velazquez.
The Chancery remained in this location until it was moved by then Ambassador Jose Manuel Stilianopolous to the prestigious Palacio de Santo Mauro in Calle Zurbano in 1975. The Palacio, which was then owned by the Duquesa de Santo Mauro, had five floors. One of these floors was the Ambassador´s residence. Up to now, Filipinos who remember the Palacio still comment about the grandiosity of the Embassy during this time. At present, the building now houses the Hotel AC Santo Mauro
After more than a year´s work, the new Embassy Chancery and the Ambassador´s official residence were inaugurated by then President Fidel V. Ramos in August 1998. The Chancery has two access gates – the Eresma gate leading to the first floor offices and the Guadalquivir gate leading to the Consular Office while the Ambassador´s official residence can only accessed through the Eresma gate.